If you seeing Error code 0x80070002 on your Windows screen, it means your Windows are unable to update important files. This happens when you are working to update the Windows and PC is installing system updates. There is some interruption and as a result, errors code 0x80070002 displays, the System fails to update certain important files. Here are a different set of solutions to fix Error code 0x80070002, mentioned as follows:
Solution 1 to fix Error code 0x80070002
There are several ways by which you can fix Error code 0x80070002. They are mentioned as below:
- First of all to fix Error code 0x80070002, check Windows time and date settings. We know that this sounds so basic. But trust us an incorrect date and time setting could hamper the windows ability to work efficiently
- To fix this select the date and time settings. You can easily locate the date and time on the lower-right corner of the screen. TO change the both, click on Change date and time settings.
- Now you will see the date and time window. Find the change date and time button. When you are done with the changing, please click on Ok to apply the changes.
- Now restart the system and try to install system updates. If this method doesn’t work, please move to the next solution.
Solution 2 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- Another method to resolve the issue is to remove corrupted files. If the error is there while updating the windows it means some files are corrupted. Hence, we should delete those files and try Windows update once again.
- Now to do this select the start button and go tot he controls panel. There type Administrative Tools” in the search box and press Enter from your keyboard. After this, a pop-up window will appear. On the pop-up window, locate the service option and found, please double click it to do the selection. In case If you are asked to provide administrator password or confirmation, type password and give confirmation.
- Now find the tab name. If you will select the name tab this will sort items alphabetically, after which you can find out Windows Update service easily. To proceed further Right-click it and select Stop. For Windows XP users, please find out Automatic Updates and right-click it to select Stop.
- Now move to the main function of deleting the corrupted files. So delete corrupted update files in the Software Distribution folder. This process is followed as hereunder. Go to my computer option. There open the c drive. This drive usually the section the where the operating system is installed.
- Now after this open the Windows folder. There locate the software distribution folder. Now double click it to do the selection. In this folder, you will find the Download folder. Now double click the download fiolder and delete everything in it. In case you dont want to delete then please rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as old if you don’t want to delete files. Click Yes if you are prompted by UAC (User Account Control) warning.
- Now in final step please restart the Windows update service. Click start when you locate windows update service and right click it. After this Close Service windows and Administrator Tools window.
Solution 3 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- The other most easy and common tool is downlod the Microsoft Fix It Tool. You can fix this error when you will be using the Microsoft Fix It Tool.
- This tool main function is to automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update.
Solution 4 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- This not very commonand only usable for those who are having an operating system is installed on a partition which is not activated. This is the less known reason for error code 0x80070002.
- To fix this you can follow 2 measures: Either you can repartition hard drive and reinstall Windows, this repartitioning includes hard drive removes everything and other is setting system partition to active. You can do the repartition manually in disk management.
Solution 5 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- Another method is to diable the error mesage. This you can utilize if you are unable to fix the error and fed up by seeing the error message again and again. You can only disbale it. Disabling does not means that the error code has been fixed.
- To disbale the error message login to the computer with Administrator account. Now proceed furhter and open the ragistery editor. To open the raistry editor visit the start button in your computer. Now locate the option All programs. then go ijnto the folder Acessories and then click on Run. there type regedit and press Enter from your keyboard.
- When the Registry Editor is open, go further and enter the other command, go into the: path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\
- There you will see the MSC key on the right part of Registry Editor. Right-click it and click Delete item to delete the key.
Solution 6 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- It is possible that your system drivers are outdated and need to be updated. Because obsolete and missed driver can cause problems. You can update the drivers with manually downloading them or do it automatically.
- To do the manually You can first uninstall your device drivers in Device Manager. To do this go to the official website to download the correct drivers matched with your Windows OS. Only the requisites to do this the time and computer skills.
- To do the automatic which is the most recommended way is to let them download automatically. The plus point is that If you don’t have time or skills to update the drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Solution 7 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- If the above methods didn’t work for you then you can use the Windows supporting tools of Microsoft. There are good chances that this will fix the error code efficiently.
- For this please reboot your system. Reboot your
Solution 8 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- Another method to fix the error is to reset windows update components. To do this do the right click on Windows key. from there select the command prompt under Admin. There a UAC will pop up. click on ok to move further.
- Now type the following commands mentioned below. This will stop BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services. You have to press Enter after each of them:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Now type Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat” command to delete qmgr*.dat files. When you had entered these, then moe further and copy and paste cd /d %windir%\system32 command and press Enter to execute the command.
- Now in order to re-register BITS and Windows Update files, you will have to type all the commands. Then in the end press enter.
- egsvr32.exe atl.dll
- Now moving further and in order to reset Winsock, type netsh winsock reset and netsh winhttp reset proxy commands. Press Enter from keyboard and after each of them as usually.
- Now in the end Finally, restart BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services by entering the following commands each followed by entering:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Solution 9 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- In this method run any professional anti-malware. We generally see that the Windows Update errors like 0x80070002 may also be the outcome of a virus/malware infection.
- If a malware is stubborn enough, it may block Windows Updates to prevent security updates. Therefore, we would recommend you to run a scan with Reimage or another powerful tool.
Solution 10 to fix Error code 0x80070002
- Another general but basic thing to check if you have an Unsteady/unreliable Internet connection. Now to fix the error please ensure that you have a steady and stable internet connection.
- Please ensures that your Computer’s Internet connection is stable. In order to do this, You may need to wait for the connection to become stable in case you notice that it is not. Stable internet connection is important while trying to Install pending updates in Windows.
- So check your internet connection status and then try to Check for Updates once it is stable. If you are getting this error with Microsoft Security Essential then, Do a System Reboot and try again.
Here are other relevant resolutions you might be interested in: